Skip to main content

Confessions of GOD (?)

I am awakened by sudden creaking of the old wooden temple doors. The brilliant reddish lining on the horizon had announced the advent of the sun with birds chirping in unison. The soothing breeze of fresh air rushing past the fat familiar silhouette of the priest prepared me for yet another busy day at work. A sudden thud of a coconut shell breaking right in front of me, brought me back to the real world where the priest had thrown me open to the enthusiastic crowd waiting eagerly to catch a glimpse of their favorite, the Almighty, the most powerful. The GOD. Yes, that is me. I am the so called God, expected to help people in dire need, installed helplessly in a dark gloomy room and adorned beautifully with ornaments.
The daily chore had begun. The desperate hands trying to feel my feet have started to flow in. While the luckier ones have even poured some milk on my feet. “What a waste”, I was thinking when I found a thick black hand circling me with a currency note. The daily madness had begun.
While the madness continued, I was lost in my thoughts. The questions I have been struggling with refuse to budge. “Why am I here? How did I suddenly become the most powerful from an insignificant chunk of earth? What magic did the man who molded me into a human form do to grant me so much power and reverence?” I was perplexed more than amused.
Lost in my thoughts, I see a small rodent ride right up to my nose and dig onto the sweets beautifully laid out in front of me. And people watch in amazement and reverence, while all I can do is helplessly stare at the rodent. I am as helpless as the one with folded hands standing with bowed head in front of me.
Every day, I am subjected to so many emotions- worries, woes, confessions, tragedies, gratitude. Why? What did I do to deserve so much admiration and adulation? I am more disturbed when the realization dawns upon. “I am not the Almighty who they are worshipping. I am just the medium for them to invoke the strength within them to face the woes of life. Why am I needed then? Wasn’t I living all this while in the illusion of power and might which they have created, for their own good? I was fooled. I have been tricked into becoming the GOD for them”.
The next question I ask myself, “Did I have any control?” The answer is a certain “No”. I was dug out of the backyard and molded into this idol of omnipotence. What choice, did I have? What is it that made me go through this journey? What if, I would have not been dug out of the backyard of the potter who made me into this adorned piece of reverence? 
I was beginning to miss myself.  I wanted to be “me”. The piece of earth, the miniscule, “not so important” chunk of soil which was home to a large tree producing exquisite flowers. I wanted to be baked in the sun and soak in the scent of the rain drops falling on me. I wanted children to make merry and play on me and chuckle in absolute happiness. Oh, how much I miss being the “me”, the miniscule insignificant, happy and careless me.
My chain of thoughts was broken by a loud thud of an iron bell hanging above my head. While I submit to the destiny of being the GOD for now, I am left with a hope that someday, when cracks seem to develop in my body, I would be replaced with a new defect free piece and I would be immersed in the river which flows nearby. I wonder how would that be, floating with the river as it treads past the mountains and plains and settles into the ocean. How would it be to a part of the vast expanse of the ocean, where there would be more like me, but free from pressures of being the GOD. I wait in anticipation, for the future, till then I have to make do with being the GOD.

” With great power comes great helplessness”.

Comments

Hemant Mudgal said…
Loved the line "I miss being me, the miniscuse insignificant"... Ek sher zehan mein aa gaya yeh paḍhkar "Hum roz nashe mein hote hain, aur shaam guzar jaati hai, ek din jab shaam nashe mein hogi, hum guzar jaayenge"...
abhinav k jha said…
the introductory paragraph.....it is beautiful..it made me smile....

...reading your piece makes me reflect that even"GOD" is not free from the cycle of dust to dust of which we humans are subjected to...

Aren't we all in a state of helplessness being played by some imaginary hand..?...i kind of like it...:)
Aashutosh said…
yes...and being the Idol who has to live upto the expectations of its people can choke the human emotions and life...that is something i have tried depicting through this...thanks for reading

Popular posts from this blog

A page from an Automobile Engineer's Diary

“Hmm”….The doctor gave a gentle nod as he scanned the anatomy of my lungs which lay glowing in front of him thanks to William Roentgen. I looked on helplessly as a student dreading to hear the word “FAIL” from his class teacher. The doctor put down the spectacles on the table and began – “Seems you have been enjoying your freedom over here too much, too much of smoking and drinking going on?” I was caught unaware at such a stark remark but then the Hindi film dialogue echoed in my ears “You should never lie to your doctor and lawyer”. I confessed sheepishly and the doctor carried on. “You have asthmic bronchitis and you need to quit smoking immediately. I am writing you some medicines. Have them for a week and then we will meet to see the improvement.” I nodded gently and as I started to open the door the doctor intervened with his fat finger wagging at me “Remember, NO SMOKING”. “Yeah Yeah NO SMOKING “ I tried to imitate, much to the surprise of the secretary who sat outside for the b

Johaar Jharkhand!!!

"Are bhai rukiye na,kaahe albalaye hue hain. ek ek k karke na milega tikatwa sabko" I could hear the ticket collector for the bus plying from Jamshedpur to Ranchi vent out his frustration as various 100 rupee notes tried to poke into his nose. I could not help but smile at the words ,the dialect ,the place. I knew I was back to the land I had started from. And for some reason it gave me an innate sense of relief. So I went ahead and shamelessly joined the crowd in poking a 100 rupee note into the ticket collector's nose."Ek ticket idhar dena bhaiya; Aage ka seat dena". For the moment I had forgotten the more civilised method of getting things done by queing up or the luxuries of online reservation system I was so used to.I knew my land and how to get things done here. This 'poking the 'thing' into the nose' tactic was ingeniuosly brought to use by us in college days when we had to get our "NO DUES" done before every semester. When there

My Tryst with eggs!!!

Scene I, Ranchi: “Promise me , You’ll have two boiled eggs everyday for breakfast before leaving for the plant.” My mother was virtually in tears as she stuffed my travel bag with almost everything edible she could find. On earlier occasions I would audit the packing she would carry out religiously and do away with superfluous eatables.” Less luggage, more comfort” I am a firm believer…Unfortunately my mother isn’t. This time she was not even ready to let me have a look, leave alone the screening. And she had reasons strong enough. I was leaving for Pune after two months of medical leave at home and somehow the doctor had managed to convince my parents that the reason for my prolonged ailment was my carelessness towards diet. So I had been through long sessions on what to eat ,how to cook etc. Unfortunately this time around my mother had the support of everyone else in the family. And I had to abide by. Scene II, Pune: Day-Thursday, Time:11 am. I am off my bed wandering in my apartment