Skip to main content

Unexpected Stardom!!!

June 2002, sky was overcast with dark clouds and as they say weather not at all fit for cricket. But Team Samsung was least bothered. The 2nd half classes for them were held at the Mecon Stadium and the zeal of the team members in attending those classes was worth noticing. For the people, Team Samsung was the 3rd row of the morning Computer section 03 of DAV Shyamli-A bunch of sports fanatics who had all the excuses in the world to bunk classes and play cricket. The overcast condition was enough to mete out despair and chagrin to any cricket fan. Team Samsung had other plans.

Football fever was catching up with the world cup euphoria at its acme. So someone came up with a brilliant idea” How about playing football?” Unanimity was not that difficult to achieve and it was a matter of a few minutes when stage was set for the action to begin. Teams were formed. Strategies were a bit difficult to form as little did they know about the soccer skills of each other unlike cricket.

The match began and the pandemonium too. It’s not that hard to imagine the scene of about 15 lunatics fighting for a single ball. “Come on, pass the ball” was all he could hear surrounded by few of the most agile defenders. He had no intentions of sharing the glory of the first goal to be scored. So he gave it a kick himself. The ball sailed high and far enough to turn his resplendence into a futile attempt. “Hard luck” he thought to himself. But lady luck seemed to betray him all throughout the day and he committed errors (read as sins) to lead his team to a 0-2 defeat. The other day had similar things to witness. The third one was no different. It was time for the captain to put the thinking cap on. He was demoted to the post of a goalkeeper(no offences meant to goalkeepers).A goalkeeper is considered to be the ultimate savior of a team’s dignity upon whose shoulders rests the responsibility to make sure that the fort is secure. Things here were a bit different. Goalkeeping here was considered as the most passive of all positions and was assigned to the one who was not fit to play striker, midfield or defender. Standing at the goalpost he wondered if he would ever make an impact as strong as he had in cricket. His thought process was broken by an explosion.” What was that?” That was Prateek (alias Bhurri) special dear. “What a save!” exclaimed the ever animated Som and Nandi. That was surely not intended to be one. It was just a face coming in the way of a powerful kick and the goalpost. Took him a while to realize that he had actually made an almost impossible save. He could barely manage a smile amidst the pain the kick had inflicted. A ray of hope glimmered to redeem his lost pride. What followed were a series of regulation saves and a few laudable ones to give his confidence a much needed boost and prepare him for the ultimate test-the penalty shoot out.

The excitement was rising. “Spare a thought for the poor thing “he thought. “Get ready” was the call and the sturdy athletic Bhurri appeared from nowhere. ”Oh God” was all he could manage. 5.4.3.2.1….vroom!!!!!!! He made a desperate dive and succeeded in deflecting the ball. It was a save. Jubilation and applause followed. He was hardly concerned whether his team scored or not. He was thrilled at the save and intended to get a few more up his sleeve. His team did not score. Then came Manas. He cursed the opponents’ captain for accumulating an army of hard hitters. If Bhurri was a torpedo Manas was no less. Once again a powerful kick and a save. His teammates could barely believe what they saw. So did him. As an economist would say” A liability was turning into an asset”. The penalty shoot out ended with a score of 2-1 with the star keeper on the victorious side. So excited were his teammates that they compared him with Oliver Kahn (the star German goalkeeper who could do nothing wrong before the finals against Brazil where he was awed by the genius of Ronaldo) A star was born. Mission Soccer accomplished!!!!!

Comments

uatu said…
mast hai be.
Team SAMSUNG
kya din yaad dila diye tune
mazaa aa gaya
Gammafunction said…
three cheers to Team Samsung!
Niksworth said…
amazingly good...the post has a lot of depth..and welcome to blogosphere...you have done more posts in 3 days than i have in 9 moths...cheers
Rohit Prateek said…
saale....sirf apna badai diye hue ho...yaad karo ki oliver kahn ke alawa wahan koi LUIS FIGO bhi tha :)
Rohit Prateek said…
waise masto blog....yaadein taza ho gayi...waise bhi goalkeepers ko humlog bhool chuke the :P

Popular posts from this blog

A page from an Automobile Engineer's Diary

“Hmm”….The doctor gave a gentle nod as he scanned the anatomy of my lungs which lay glowing in front of him thanks to William Roentgen. I looked on helplessly as a student dreading to hear the word “FAIL” from his class teacher. The doctor put down the spectacles on the table and began – “Seems you have been enjoying your freedom over here too much, too much of smoking and drinking going on?” I was caught unaware at such a stark remark but then the Hindi film dialogue echoed in my ears “You should never lie to your doctor and lawyer”. I confessed sheepishly and the doctor carried on. “You have asthmic bronchitis and you need to quit smoking immediately. I am writing you some medicines. Have them for a week and then we will meet to see the improvement.” I nodded gently and as I started to open the door the doctor intervened with his fat finger wagging at me “Remember, NO SMOKING”. “Yeah Yeah NO SMOKING “ I tried to imitate, much to the surprise of the secretary who sat outside for the b

Johaar Jharkhand!!!

"Are bhai rukiye na,kaahe albalaye hue hain. ek ek k karke na milega tikatwa sabko" I could hear the ticket collector for the bus plying from Jamshedpur to Ranchi vent out his frustration as various 100 rupee notes tried to poke into his nose. I could not help but smile at the words ,the dialect ,the place. I knew I was back to the land I had started from. And for some reason it gave me an innate sense of relief. So I went ahead and shamelessly joined the crowd in poking a 100 rupee note into the ticket collector's nose."Ek ticket idhar dena bhaiya; Aage ka seat dena". For the moment I had forgotten the more civilised method of getting things done by queing up or the luxuries of online reservation system I was so used to.I knew my land and how to get things done here. This 'poking the 'thing' into the nose' tactic was ingeniuosly brought to use by us in college days when we had to get our "NO DUES" done before every semester. When there

My Tryst with eggs!!!

Scene I, Ranchi: “Promise me , You’ll have two boiled eggs everyday for breakfast before leaving for the plant.” My mother was virtually in tears as she stuffed my travel bag with almost everything edible she could find. On earlier occasions I would audit the packing she would carry out religiously and do away with superfluous eatables.” Less luggage, more comfort” I am a firm believer…Unfortunately my mother isn’t. This time she was not even ready to let me have a look, leave alone the screening. And she had reasons strong enough. I was leaving for Pune after two months of medical leave at home and somehow the doctor had managed to convince my parents that the reason for my prolonged ailment was my carelessness towards diet. So I had been through long sessions on what to eat ,how to cook etc. Unfortunately this time around my mother had the support of everyone else in the family. And I had to abide by. Scene II, Pune: Day-Thursday, Time:11 am. I am off my bed wandering in my apartment